Saturday 3 October 2015

Welcome!



Hello and welcome to my new blog. Having just completed my Masters degree in Dress and Textile Histories I have decided to begin transforming my passion for making historical costume into a viable career. I have been sewing since I was a little girl and making clothes and costume for myself for the past four or five years. Now I would like to begin to share my creations with a wider audience.

On this blog I will be posting all of my completed costume garments and accessories that will be going up for sale. At the moment these include a small selection of Victorian bonnets but I will be expanding this to include costume and accessories from the 18th century through to the 1950s. I expect to post these on Ebay in the first instance and will post details here as the items become available. The blog posts will act as a preview and items will then be uploaded to Ebay in batches. The date for the next upload to Ebay will be published in each post, so if you are interested in an item you needn't worry about checking back every day to see if it has gone on sale.

My aim is to create pieces that are as true to the spirit and aesthetics of their era as possible but suitable for a wide range of purposes and budgets. As well as 100% period correct reproductions that use only authentic materials and techniques, I also enjoy making more bank-account friendly creations that use carefully selected modern fabrics and embellishments along with machine-stitching where appropriate to create the correct look without the inevitable expense of, for example, a completely hand-stitched 100% silk gown. The choice is up to you and my own costume wardrobe is a balance of the two to suit my budget, needs and timescale.

For me the most important thing is feeling good in costume. Whether that is down to the degree of authenticity, comfort or personal taste in styles doesn't really matter. I aim to create costume that you will be happy and proud to wear.

I am passionate about researching garments thoroughly and always look carefully into the history of an item before starting a new project, using original patterns, fashion plates, portraits, photographs and other sources to enable me to capture the look of a period effectively.

I hope that you enjoy exploring the items that I have on offer as much as I did creating them. If you see something that you like please do not hesitate to contact me for more details, including bespoke requests if, for example, you are looking for a different colour scheme, an authentic reproduction or an item made up in your own materials.


No comments:

Post a Comment